You are here: Home old new students Begin of your study

Begin of your study



Students from EU or EFTA countries as well as from Australia, Canada, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand and the USA do not need a student visa for entry.

Students of other nationalities require a student visa.

You must apply for a student visa at the German Embassy in your home country. Please check the website of your German Embassy to get all necessary information.


Usually, the following documents are required:

  • Documents for the visa application 
  • Proof of funding
  • Letter of admission from the university
  • Proof of previous education/degrees
  • Student health insurance
  • University entrance qualification
  • Proof of German or English language skills


Further information on visas is available from the DAAD and Studying in Germany.

Important: Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa under any circumstances!


A prerequisite for enrollment is that you have a letter of admission. The letter of admission will be sent by postal mail to the address you specified in the application portal. With the admission letter you will receive detailed information about enrollment (deadlines, documents, etc.). In any case, you must enroll before the start of lectures.


What documents do you need to bring with you to matriculation?

  • Completed enrollment form
  • Letter of admission (original or copy)
  • *Bachelor degree
  • (*if already been a student in Germany: exmatriculation certificate of German University)
  • * Language proof
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Receipt for payment of the registration and the so called social fee (€ 155)
  • Receipt for payment of tuition fees, if applicable (1.500 €)
  • Passport and student visa
  • Residency permit issued by the city of Freiburg immigration office
  • 2 passport photos

*for presentation only - be sure to show the original or an officially certified copy

Detailed information on enrollment at the University of Freiburg can be found here.

The contact person for questions regarding enrollment is the Service Center Studium.


Note for non-EU citizens:

Before you can enroll at the university, you must register at the Bürgeramt Freiburg and make an appointment to extend your 3-month student visa.

Please note that you can only register at the Bürgeramt if you already have a room or address in Freiburg

Study fees

Tuition fees

     EU-Citizen: none

     Non-EU-Citizen: 1.500 € per semester.

     More information, also regarding exceptions, can be found here.

Semester fees

  • 155 € per semester (78 € social contribution for the Studentenwerk incl. basic contribution for the semester ticket, 70 € contribution for administrative costs, 7 € contribution for the "verfasste Studierendenschaft").

Study financing


The Faculty of Environment and Natural Resources and also the University of Freiburg do not award scholarships. Interested students must apply for a scholarship on their own.

Please note: The search for scholarships and the compilation of an application is very time-consuming. Application deadlines are often one year before the start of studies.


Helpful Links:



The master's programme is a full-time programme. The modular structure has many advantages for teaching, but the disadvantage that you do not have a fixed schedule that is valid throughout the semester and is very time-intensive. With each module, every 3 weeks, there are variations. You will usually always have classes in the morning, but often there will be classes in the afternoon, group work, lab work, etc. on a daily basis. In addition, there are 1-day or 1-week field trips. So, except for evenings and weekends, it is difficult to have a regular job. The most favorable jobs are those as research assistants at the faculty, since these jobs can usually be done flexibly in terms of time. Announcements for research assistants are often located in the Herderbau as notices or are sent by mail to the student distribution list.

Students are allowed to work a maximum of 85 hours per month. We strongly recommend working no more than 30 or a maximum of 40 hours per month. 

More info can offer the Studierendenwerk Freiburg.

Note: For students who do not speak German and are not native English speakers, it can be very difficult to find a job, both on and off the faculty.

Studienstart - App

The Central Student Advisory Service of the University of Freiburg has developed an app for the start of studies.

With the app, first-year students can

  • create their own profile (select degree programs; display additional information for international students)
  • compile their personal program for the introductory week
  • be navigated directly to the event locations
  • get an overview of the university with the help of interactive maps
  • use a checklist for the start of your studies to make sure you don't forget anything important
  •     prepare yourself for your studies at the University of Freiburg with lots of information and tips
  • find important contact persons
  • look up terms related to your studies in the glossary


Here you get the link and more information about the app.

Start of studies, offers from the Service Center Studium

The Service Center Studium (SCS) takes care of all matters concerning studying in general.

In addition to administrative tasks, the SCS also offers many services for students in all situations.

For the start of your studies, the SCS has compiled a lot of important information, hints, tips and videos about the start of your studies.

Check out the website, it is worthwhile in any case. There you will also find the „Wegweiser Studienstart

International students

International Admissions and Services (IAS)

The IAS is a department of SCS and is the first point of contact for international students with administrative issues.

IAS can assist international students with the following concerns:

  • Admissions advising and questions
  • Enrollment
  • Registration
  • Leave of absence
  • Issuance of certificates and preliminary confirmations


International Office (IO)

The International Office (IO) takes care of all "internationals" and can help with all kinds of questions.

For international first-year students, the International Office has created a "Welcome Guide".

It's worth a look!

Further interesting offers

* Hochschulsport/university sports

You can find a wide range of offers for students and stuff of the university


* Sprachlehrinstitut/Language Teaching Institute

Offers all kinds of language curses and tests


Zentrale Studienberatung/Central Student Advisory Service

Contact point for all questions before, during and after your studies

  • International students
  • Career entry/career planning
  • Studying with a chronic illness/disability
  • Scholarships
  • Pregnancy/maternity protection


* Counseling of the Studierendenwerk


Student services

All kind of services around the study, before and after, consultations and further offers